This page includes my posts on cultural divides and specific issues other than faith/sexuality conflicts. (Click on the “LGBT” or “Christianity” tabs for more on those topics.)
Most popular posts on society & culture
Here are some of my most popular posts on social issues. Check them out, or view a complete list of posts on society and culture.
- A white guy’s thoughts on “Get Out” and racismEven if you hate horror movies as much as I do, there are some incredibly important lessons to be learned from Jordan Peele’s film “Get Out.”
- 8 tips for handling angry internet comments.I’ve dealt with more than my fair share of nasty, hurtful, and angry comments on the internet. Here’s how I’ve learned to respond to them.
- We made this monster.A note on how we’re all responsible for creating an unhealthy political environment.
- “But Susie, how could we play Battleship? Those pieces weren’t designed to fit our hands.”A few thoughts on how deeply ingrained sexism is in our everyday culture, and why men need to be careful about treating our experiences as the standard for everyone.
- Pain and prejudice: When it’s not all better.When you’re white, it’s tempting to think of racism as a thing of the past, from an era of segregated bathrooms. But it’s not all better, and we have a responsibility to do something about it.
- The challenge minority groups face.Why do minority groups sometimes seem so loud and angry? Well, it’s all part of a cycle.