Until a few years ago, the publishing world was a complete mystery to me. Now, with two published books under my belt, I understand a lot more about how it all works.
I’ll be keeping this page up to date with answers to questions and blog posts documenting my experiences as an author.
My books so far
- Torn – A book about gay Christians and the struggles many churches have to understand some of their own members.
- (Torn is also known as Unconditional in the UK and Verscheurd in the Netherlands.)
- Talking Across the Divide – Practical advice for changing hearts and minds on the issues that divide us as a nation.
Popular posts on publishing
Here are some of my most popular posts on publishing and my author’s journey. Check them out, or view a complete list of all my publishing-themed blog posts.
- 5 super-awesome author moments.As a first-time author, there are a few special moments that you never forget. Here are five that happened to me that I will cherish forever.
- 5 secrets I didn’t know about the publishing world.To publishers and authors these aren’t secrets, but before I wrote my first book, I didn’t know any of this.
- Adventures in titling.Coming up with the right title is hard. Here’s how we did it for my first book.
- An American gay Christian in the Netherlands.A fun video I made about my travels to the Netherlands for the first time to promote the Dutch release of my book Torn.
- Two roads diverged in a wood. Of… publishers. Or something. Okay, this title isn’t really working out.Traditional publishing or self-publishing? This is the question that faces many first-time authors. There are pros and cons to each.
- Publicity: The part of getting published that makes you crazy.I hate self-promotion. But if you want to be an author, you have to learn to live with it.